A few months back, we wrote about the stability and benefits of living in Madison today. In fact, no other period in our history has offered the high standard of living we enjoy today. Our modern healthcare, education, recreation, safety, and public infrastructure keep getting better.
Another part of this Golden Age is our community spirit. Everyday, citizens of Jefferson County choose to make the future a little brighter.
We all know about the challenges, but here are some ways regular people can invest in the Madison of tomorrow. It’s really not the government or official programs that make our town so great. It’s normal citizens who value the community and want to make it even better.
1. Volunteer – There are plenty of ways to serve others through local volunteer work. We have a strong local chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters. You can also check out Habitat for Humanity or the Jefferson County Clearinghouse.
2. Shop Local – Just changing a few small habits can provide an extra boost to your favorite local businesses. Consider the 3/50 plan as a starting point.
3. Be a Good Neighbor – Community starts in our own backyard. Don’t be a stranger to the people next door. Say hello, learn their names, and begin a new friendship today.
4. Share a Kind Word – It costs nothing to share a smile or complement with your co-workers. The simple act of saying “Good morning” will often make it so. Smile at the next person you walk past downtown.
5. Hold Your Tongue – Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but your mother was right when she said, “If you don’t have something nice to say ….” Very few complainers make a positive difference in this world.
6. Respect Civil Authorities – Law officers, city workers, and even the city counsel should be treated with respect. A health dose of the Golden Rule could work wonders on our local political discourse.
7. Join Community Groups – Churches, civic clubs, and even the community band all make our city a better place. Find your niche and enrich your own life as well.
8. Support Local Culture – Madison has a vibrant local arts community. There are countless local plays, concerts, book readings and art shows worth your time.
9. Enjoy Our Parks – How can you stay inside when we’re surrounded by the State Park, Heritage Trail, and Madison Riverfront? Families can’t go wrong with Crystal Beach and all our cities outdoor sporting programs. Don’t forget our unique historic district is a national treasure.
10. Speak Up – Good citizen’s are the best ally our police have when keeping our town safe. Children are the real victims when drug & alcohol abuse comes to town.
What would you add to this list? Leave a comment below to share your own thoughts about making Madison’s future even better.